- About Us
- After-School Program & Summer Camp
- Community Action
- Community Cooking
- Food Bank
- Healthy Beginnings & Family Support
- Sustainable Food Systems Education
- Urban Agriculture
- Food Markets
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Stop began as a volunteer-run organization in the 1970s, and to this day volunteers play a vital role in every facet of our operations. Without the dedication of our volunteers, we could not meet our goal of helping people stop the cycle of poverty.
Many of our volunteers have experience with issues facing the community: unemployment, poverty, and homelessness. The connection between volunteers and participants in our programs creates a unique sense of community marked by a non-judgmental and empathetic environment.
Volunteer Opportunities at 1884 Davenport
At our 1884 Davenport location, we have a Food Bank, Drop-In, kitchen (in which we prepare meals for the Drop-In), Healthy Beginnings program (a pre- and post-natal program), and Community Advocacy Program. Most of the volunteer roles that become available are for the Food Bank, Drop-In or kitchen and would take place on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays or Fridays between the hours of 8AM and 3PM. We ask all volunteers to make a commitment of one 4-5 hour shift per week for a minimum of 4-6 months. If you are interested in volunteering with one of these programs, please contact Jasmine at jasmine [at] thestop [dot] org about coming to our monthly Volunteer Information Session.
Volunteer Opportunities at The Stop's Green Barn
We currently have opportunities at our Green Barn for the following:
- greenhouse volunteers
- After School Program volunteers
- Hillcrest Community Garden volunteers
See below for complete details about each opportunity.
1. The Urban Agriculture Team is looking for a few volunteers with greenhouse experience or an interest in learning. The commitment is a regular weekly shift, Tuesdays or Thursdays, from 10AM to 12PM, for a period of 4-6 months. We strongly encourage applications from people who live in the local community. If you are interested in this role, please email Jasmine at jasmine [at] thestop [dot] org and include some information about yourself and why this role is a good fit for you.
2. We are currently seeking a few new volunteers to join the After School Program, beginning in April and running through June 11th. There is also the possibility of assisting for a couple of weeks over the summer with our Summer Food Camp if volunteers are available. Volunteers work to support and engage the kids who participate in the program in a variety of play and learning activities based around gardening, cooking, art, and food. For this role, we are looking for people with strong, positive energy and a willingness to run around and really engage with the kids. The commitment is one regular shift a week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 2:30-7PM. If you are interested, please send some information about yourself, including why you are interested in this program and why it is a good match for you, as well as a copy of your resume and the day or days of the week you are available, to jasmine [at] thestop [dot] org. We especially encourage applications from people who live in the local community.
3. We are also looking for a number of new volunteers keen on growing to join our Hillcrest Community Garden Team, beginning in May/June and throughout the growing season. Volunteers work as a team to assist with all aspects of growing and maintenance in our Hillcrest Garden, located in Hillcrest Park at Davenport and Christie. Weekly gardening sessions run Mondays and Thursday or Friday mornings, and volunteers assist with planting, watering, weeding, garden maintenance, and harvesting. For this position, we are looking for community members who can make a weekly commitment and who have an interest in gardening or in learning gardening skills. Preference will be given to volunteers who live in the local area. If you are interested, please contact Jasmine at jasmine [at] thestop [dot] org.
Volunteer Opportunities at Events
We often have one-off fundraising or community events where we need a large number of volunteers for the day or half-day. If you would like to be on our events list, please email jasmine [at] thestop [dot] org and include some information about yourself, your availability, and any special skills or interests you have, e.g. cooking, customer service, serving, setting-up or taking down events.